Sildenafil Citrate is the prescription medication, which is widely known under the brand name Viagra ― the legendary pills that are used for treating erectile dysfunction (ED). ED is the disorder, when a man cannot get or maintain an erection, which is hard enough to have sex.
In addition to oral tablets, Sildenafil Citrate is produced in the form of oral suspensions. Also, it can be used in the form of solutions for intravenous injections (in such a case the drug is administered by medical specialists only).
How Does Sildenafil Citrate Work?
Sildenafil Citrate belongs to the class of PDE5 inhibitors, i.e. the substances that block the PDE5 (phosphodiesterase-5) enzyme. Most people have heard of them in the context of ED treatment. So, let us discuss how they help to solve the problem mentioned. To clarify, an erection is caused by an increase in blood flow in a penis. When a man feels sexual desire, nitric oxide is released in his body. That substance activates the production of cGMP, which controls the flow of blood in a penis. For an erection to be firm enough, cGMP increases blood pressure in a penis.
After a sexual intercourse is finished, PDE5 destroys cGMP, so that the blood tension is a penis is decreased. But in the case of certain disorders PDE5 can be produced too soon, which prevents a man from getting a proper erection or preserving it for a sufficient amount of time. In such cases PDE5 inhibitors are applied. As a result, cGMP can work for longer, and a man and his partner can have a proper sexual intercourse.
However, Sildenafil Citrate is also applied for treating pulmonary arterial hypertension ― the state, which is characterized by increased blood pressure in lungs. When a patient suffers from this disease, his heart gets overloaded, since it has to make extra efforts to pump blood in lungs. The use of this medicine relaxes blood vessels in lungs and decreases blood pressure in this organ, as well as a load upon a heart. This drug helps a patient to defer the further development of the disease for a certain period of time and to feel more comfortable, when exercising.
How Is It Used for Treating Erectile Dysfunction?
As it has been mentioned before, those patients, who suffer from ED, apply Sildenafil Citrate in the form of oral tablets. The dosage strength varies. There are the following options available: 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg. No doubt, like in the case of any other prescription drug, Sildenafil should be used on the doctor’s recommendation only.
Today, there is no need to overpay for brand Viagra, you can switch to generic Sildenafil Citrate and save up to 90%. Furthermore, you can safely buy both brand and generic Viagra online and save time and effort as well. Still, even if an online pharmacy does not require prescriptions, you should always discuss the use of these products with the medical specialist, since self-treatment or misuse may lead to serious health problems.
Sildenafil Citrate is used identically to brand Viagra. It is not the medication that is taken on a daily basis. You should use it only on those days, when you plan to have sex. Specialists recommend taking it about an hour prior to the start of a sexual intercourse. However, if needed, you can reduce that gap to 30 minutes or increase it to 4 hours. To clarify, it usually takes the drug 30–60 minutes to start working, and its effect lasts for up to 5 hours. But in most cases it starts to diminish after 3 hours. Sure, those figures will depend on the dosage, as well as on your metabolism speed and other individual features of your organism. It is noteworthy that you will be able to have several sexual intercourses after taking one pill, if you want to.
Keep in mind that in the case of ED treatment this medication will not work by itself. To feel its effect, you will need to get sexually stimulated. It can help you intensify and strengthen an erection, but it will not cause it.
However, in fact, that is an advantage, since you will not have to worry about accidental erections at wrong moments that can make you feel confused and spoil the romantic atmosphere.
Besides, in case you use Sildenafil, your erections will look natural. So, your partner will not learn about your problem.
As you have probably understood, Sildenafil Citrate is likely to help you solve the problem of erectile dysfunction from the very first tablet. So, if you suspect that you have ED, there is no need to keep suffering and to postpone a visit to a doctor. Just do it and make your sexual life enjoyable again.
What Is the Difference between Brand Viagra and Sildenafil Citrate?
In fact, Sildenafil Citrate is the active substance of Viagra. So, when you buy Sildenafil tablets, you get the affordable copy or the generic of brand Viagra pills, which works in an identical way.
Still, that does not mean that these two products are identical. First of all, you will see that they look different. The color and the shape of tablets may be changed. But that does not affect their performance in any case.
Besides, the composition may slightly differ. Although the active ingredient ― Sildenafil Citrate ― remains the same, auxiliary components, like colorants or flavorings, may be changed. Certainly, that does not make any impact on the effectiveness of the drug. However, if you are allergic to some substances, you should scrutinize the composition of each medication, which you are going to take, in order to make sure that it is absolutely safe for you. No doubt, you should inform the doctor about the allergy as well.
As you can see, if you want to reduce the drug expenses, you can safely use Sildenafil Citrate instead of brand Viagra without compromising the effectiveness of the treatment.
As for the difference in prices, it can be easily explained. Brand Viagra is produced by the famous company Pfizer, which has invested huge sums of money in its development, testing, patenting, advertising. Consequently, this product is expensive enough. On the other hand, Sildenafil Citrate is manufactured by dozens or even hundreds of other companies, and these producers use the formula discovered by Pfizer.
They do not need to spend money on its patenting or testing, which allows them to significantly reduce the prime cost. Besides, in most cases Sildenafil Citrate tablets are manufactured in developing countries with a low salary level and cheap prices, which also contributes to a decrease in the price of the final product. Sure, regardless of the company or the country of origin, all the medications are thoroughly checked for the compliance with the safety and quality standards.
What Are the Side Effects of Sildenafil Citrate?
Above all, there is a good chance that you will not face any adverse side effects, if you have a proper discussion with your doctor (before starting to take the drug), inform him about all the health problems, which you are suffering from, and all the other medications, which you are currently using, and strictly follow his instructions.
However, it is advisable to look through the list of the most widespread potential side effects of Sildenafil:
- feeling dizzy;
- problems with digestion;
- sight problems;
- runny nose;
- pains in a back;
- pains in muscles;
- sleep problems;
Furthermore, the use of this medicine may cause the health problems, which require urgent medical help:
- priapism, i.e. an erection lasting for several hours and causing pains (such a condition may lead to penis injuries);
- symptoms that resemble a heart attack, for example, pains in a chest;
- a loss of sight;
- a loss of hearing or ringing in ears;
- convulsionary attacks;
- extreme swelling.
If you notice any of these side effects, contact the doctor immediately.
10 Tips on the Use of Sildenafil Citrate
- Avoid eating fat food or eating too much before taking the medication, that may affect its absorption. As a result, it may take you longer to feel an effect. On the other hand, the effect of the drug may also last longer in such a situation.
- Do not mix this medicine with alcohol. That will increase the risk of adverse side effects. Also, it is likely to diminish the effect of the tablet, since alcohol decreases blood flow in a penis.
- Strive to relax and to stick to a positive attitude. No doubt, any sexual failures are likely to make a man nervous and underconfident, and it may be hard enough to avoid all sorts of uncertainties. But, as you have probably heard, the psychological state makes a great impact on the quality of the sexual life. In fact, even a man, who is absolutely healthy, can experience ED or other sexual disorders, due to the lack of self-confidence solely. So, make every effort to stay positive.
- Do not take Sildenafil Citrate more often than one time per day.
- Do not increase or decrease the single dosage, prescribed by the doctor. In case the dosage prescribed doesn’t work or turns out to be too powerful, discuss that with the doctor, do not make any decisions on your sole discretion.
- Stop smoking. This habit makes a negative impact on all the blood vessels through an entire body, which includes a penis as well.
- Preserve the healthy weight. Excess pounds are a factor that may increase the risk of ED.
- Make sure you are not suffering from diabetes. This disease may also affect the quality of erections.
- Exercise more. And pay much attention to cardiovascular exercises.
- There are some drugs that may eliminate the effect of Sildenafil, for example, certain antidepressants. So, be sure to discuss that issue with the doctor.